Sunday, April 18, 2010

My Thoughts, Jack's Words

Recently, I have felt overwhelmingly compelled to listen to music by Jack Johnson. This is not so unusual, seeing as how Mr. Johnson is one of my musical staples. My musical diet is composed of the following three "food" groups: Dave Matthews Band, John Mayer, and Jack Johnson. All of these performers speak to me. Well, I suppose they speak to all whom choose to listen to their melodious tunes, but they really speak to me. They satiate my hunger for melodic release as their lyrical greatness sends me into a world of solitude. Somehow, it seems that these artists know the inner-workings of my mind. I find my thoughts to be echoed and amplified in their magical words, almost as if they are orating the notions that are trapped inside of my brain. It is like they are speaking for me. Recently, Jack has been speaking for me a lot.


Let's explore.


"Home is wherever we are, if there's love there too"
"Home" by Jack Johnson
"Home" does not mean what it used to mean to me. My house on Willow Creek Drive, the place I called "home" for so many years, is now merely an embodiment of my childhood. When I return from being away at school, I expect everything to feel the way it did before I left for Ohio University, but everything feels different. I am comfortable and content at that house, but things are just different; it is not my static "home." This realization makes me understand that "home" is never an exact location. Home is the people you are with and the love that surrounds you.


"Love is the answer 
at least for most of the questions in my heart,
Like why are we here? 

And where do we go? And how come it’s so hard?" 
- "Better Together" by Jack Johnson
This quote could easily fit into my previous post, the one about, well, love. I will not evaluate and explain my view of that subject any further. However, I would like to emphasize that love is the reason, even if that love is not reasonable. Love is confusing, but love is also overpowering; love is the answer (at least for most of the questions in my heart).


"But hanging on is easy
When you’ve got a friend to call
When nothings making sense at all
You’re not the only one that’s afraid of change" 

"Losing Hope" by Jack Johnson
Life is hard. Things happen to me that do not make sense, and, all at once, the walls of understanding come caving in. Suddenly, I am entrapped in the debris of "why me?" and "what did I do wrong?" Well, sometimes the answers to these questions have nothing to do with me. Things just change; life just changes. It is easy to fear this change (trust me, I do), and it is just as easy to become totally crippled with worry. Fortunately, friends numb the pain of misfortune. Friends are an opiate that dull my distress, and remind me that I am not alone. I am lucky enough to have extraordinary friends; hanging on is easy.


"Where'd all the good people go?" 
"Good People" by Jack Johnson
Seriously, where did they all go?


"You’re so busy changing the world
Just one smile and you could change all of mine" 
- "Angel" by Jack Johnson
This one actually does not reflect my personal thoughts, yet it deserves to be included. I absolutely adore the sentiment behind these words. I want someone to feel this way about me someday.


"And talk about the road behind
How getting lost is not a waste of time"
- "What You Thought You Need" by Jack Johnson
I am here, and by "here" I mean this point in my life. I mean not only my physical location, but also my mental outlook. I do not know exactly how I got to this place; it was not my original destination. I did not set my compass and follow a map to this place, but, nevertheless, I arrived. Looking back, I can see the ways in which I fumbled on my course, something that is easy to do when the path is not a regularly maintained trail. However, my minor falters and even my huge blunders have led me to "here." I would not be the person I am today if I had not occasionally gone missing. Being lost allowed me to find something, some part of myself or some understanding of the world. None of it was a waste of time.


Thank you for exploring with me. We just went on a road trip, and Jack Johnson provided the traveling tunes; Jack's beautiful, melodious words were the navigation system we used to traverse the highway of my mind. I sincerely hope you enjoyed this lyrical journey -- I know I did.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...