Monday, February 14, 2011

Muse-ic

Music is powerful. I am honestly awed by music's ability to inspire. Music inspires everyone. Yes, I know "everyone" is quite a bold word choice, but I contend that it is quite accurate. I have not met a single human thus far who does not like music. That person may not be in favor of a certain genre of tunage, yet they undoubtedly enjoy filling their ears with some form of auditory art. In fact, most people are very passionate about their musical preferences. They brag about their iTunes libraries like they are their children and will boldly stand up to anyone who criticizes their "kids."


Personally, I enjoy just about all music, and I take a lot of pride in my collection. In fact, I feel that I have a connection with my music. (This is probably why i still have 'N Sync's entire discography on my iPod.) I listen to music when I workout, do homework, get ready for nights out -- I listen to music when I do just about anything. Music propels me to work harder and to do better.


Music enlivens me and infuses me with joy. This compels me to wonder what the artists behind the music were thinking when they created their songs. It seems almost incomprehensible that a musical artist could create a work that has such deep meaning and purpose to so many people without even knowing those people. Did Rihanna and Drake know that "What's My Name" would push me to run an extra mile at the gym? Did Phoenix know that "Lisztomania" would motivate me to finish my accounting homework? Did John mayer know that all of his music would encourage my creepy obsession with him to grow further?


The answer to all of the above questions is probably "no," and that makes me sad. That makes me sad because I feel like all of these artists should know what an impact their music has on me. I feel like all artists should know what an impact their music has on everyone. (Yeah, I said "everyone" again).


The sentiment I expressed above is likely the reasoning behind the creation of the Grammy Awards. According to GRAMMY.com, "The GRAMMYs are the only peer-presented award to honor artistic achievement, technical proficiency and overall excellence in the recording industry, without regard to album sales or chart position."


Well, that is great, but that means that some people win and some people lose. I believe that no one should lose. If it were up to me, every artist would get a golden gramophone.


Unfortunately, my opinion means little and will likely not result in the restructuring of the Grammys. 


So, congratulations Winners -- And Losers, keep up the equally good work.






P.S. Does anyone know who Esperanza Spalding is?

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...