Saturday, May 28, 2011

'Turns Out not Where but Who You're With That Really Matters'

I talked to my friend Maddie today on Skype for the first time since she left to study abroad in London at the beginning of Spring Quarter. I met Maddie in journalism class my freshmen year of college, and our relationship quickly transformed from study partners to running buddies to future bridesmaids in each other's weddings. 

(This is us.)

When Maddie left, I felt a mix of emotions. I was happy for her to be able to have such an amazing experience, I was sad one of my best friends would be out of the country for three months, and I was severely jealous of all the fun she would have and all of the interesting people she would meet on her European journey. (Check out her blog and join me in my state of deep envy: http://madsinuk.wordpress.com/)


When Maddie left, I thought we would talk everyday. When we are feeling overwhelmed and pushed to the the limit, we both rely on each other to be the voice of reason that reassures and calms . . . and tells the other not to worry because we will both, of course, be successful, happy and famous in ten years. Maddie always talks me off the ledge (figuratively speaking, of course). However, we have seldom chatted. In fact, the most we shared before today was a few comments on Facebook and a few tweets on Twitter. And that was OK -- but it was only OK for awhile.

Recently, I've been feeling a little, ehh, edgy. There are many factors that can be attributed to this edginess: my classes are difficult, my extracurricular schedule is jam-packed, my teenage angst has not been informed that I turned 20, etc. However, after talking to Maddie today, I realized what is truly at the root of my unease.

This is the lyric you were thinking of, Maddie:
"Turns out not where but who you're with that really matters."

For those of you who don't live and breathe by Dave Matthews Band, this lyric is from the song "Best of What's Around" a.k.a. the song directly below.



When Maddie said this to me, she was referring to the fact that all of the great things she had been doing and seeing in London would have been better if shared with a certain group of people. (Disclaimer: She is still having a ridiculously amazing time, so do not feel sorry for her.) And although Maddie's relation to this lyric is substantially different from the way it currently resonates with me, I know the true meaning of this lyric is the same for both of us. People are what matter -- not places, not things. It's people.

I am not any more troubled than I have been before, I simply just don't have my "people," err, my "person" to discuss my worries with (or to go out with, work out with, study with, etc.). Don't get me wrong, I have many friends, but sometimes (a lot) I just need my soul sister (yeah, we call each other that occasionally).

Today I feel compelled to declare that the "what" and "where" of life are of relatively little value when compared to the "who."

It does not matter where you go or what you do; it only matters that you are in good company while going there and doing it.

1 comments:

Eliana Anzures said... [Reply]

Hi Kellie¡¡ I really like the way you wrote this blog and the title¡¡, I really was compelling to write u¡ :)
I feel happy to find people who are positive and friendly¡¡ like u.
And I agree¡¡, friends and people around you are what really matters. Read your blog makes me realize that there are always beautiful and sensitive people to meet all around the world¡ Thanks for sharing¡¡

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...