Monday, December 5, 2011

Emergent Monday

This year, I am spending my Winter Break in Athens, Ohio. Athens is a college town. When students are away on break, the population decreases by thousands and the area becomes markedly more calm. This slowdown -- mixed with my lack of school assignments, meetings and internship duties -- has allowed me to test out some new activities and adopt several new habits. 

Here is a list of trends that have recently emerged into my life:

1. Oatmeal concoctions
Normally, I eat a Clif Bar (the seasonal flavors are the bomb) or Power Bar with a side of coffee for breakfast every morning. But on Winter break, I have had extensively more time to explore my breakfast options. Recently, I have wandered into the wonderful world of oatmeal. Up until now, my oatmeal of choice was the kind with dinosaur eggs. And yes, I do think that is completely appropriate for 20-year-olds. However, I am moving past my prehistoric ways.

Here are some of my latest creations:


1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup water
brown sugar & cinnamon to taste
banana chips
handful of Cheerios


1/4 cup oatmeal
1 cup water
1 banana
spoonful of Peanut Butter & Co.'s "White Chocolate Wonderful"
handful of blueberries
sprinkle of sugar

2. Sibling nights out
I am the youngest child in my family. My brother and sister could enjoy nights out on the town together long before I achieved legality. Now, we are all on the same playing field. When I was home for Thanksgiving, we all headed to The Greene to bar hop. As could be expected, this night with my siblings was anything but boring.

Don't worry, the baby didn't go to the bar with us
Boyfriend, not sibling -- I should have clarified
Me, my sister and my sister-in-law
Creep Alert!
Vogue-ing it out
Rivalries melt away with booze time

3. Outdoor runs
I ran 3 miles outdoors everyday in the summer. I knew my route like the back of my hand and (usually)  looked forward to my daily trek. Then, the cold weather hit, and I migrated to the elliptical section of OU's student gym to get my cardio on.

Well, Mother Nature decided to bless Athens with 60 degree weather yesterday. I, of course, jumped on the opportunity to move my workout back to the great outdoors. I know this trend won't be continuing, but it made me so excited that I thought it deserved to be on the list.

4. Movies
I never watch movies. I get too distracted by homework or projects, so I bail on the movie within the first 10 minutes (unless I'm at the theater because that would be a waste of money rude). On Winter break, I have no homework and only small blogging or social media projects. Therefore, I have been able to truly enjoy a wide assortment of movies.

Last week's viewing list:

  • New Moon
  • Eclipse
  • Breaking Dawn: Part 1 (in Theaters)
  • Super 8
  • Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas

Before you judge me, I read the Twilight books in high school and now feel compelled to watch all of the movies.

However, I do agree with these basic Twilight-hater tenets:

- Kristen Stewart is awkward.
- A love triangle with a human, a vampire, and a wolf is just simply uncomfortable.
- There is no need to be shirtless right now, Taylor Lautner.
- Edward Cullen is still hot no matter how much you hate Twilight.


*Disclaimer: I watched the Twilight saga films with an anonymous person who cannot be named due to reasons of pride and reputation. I DID NOT have solo Rob Pattinson swoon sessions.

5. Salads that are a work of art
This trend actually isn't new at all. I have just been waiting for the appropriate moment to showcase my mastery.


mixed greens
artichoke hearts
chickpeas
mushrooms
olives
banana peppers
croutons
bleu cheese

6. Crafts
I did crafts all the time when I was younger. I was the weird kid who made origami sculptures and had her own calligraphy set. Unfortunately, that crafty, creative outlet disappeared as I aged. Luckily, my friend Maddie pushed me back into craft world when she asked me to make this:

Crayola Craziness

Step One: 
Select your color palette and secure crayons on canvas with super glue


Step Two: 
Melt crayons with hair dryer and let wax drip until you feel like stopping

Two steps is easy enough, right?

I know this list isn't earth-shattering, but I have thoroughly enjoyed (gently) shaking up my routine. Right now I have more free time than I am used to or comfortable with, so you better believe I filling that time with all sorts of new activities.

Oh yeah, I might even try Yoga tonight.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...