Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My New Mantra

Recently, I felt compelled to adopt a new mantra. According to one of the all-powerful online dictionaries, a mantra is "a word or sound repeated to aid concentration in meditation." That's exactly what this is.

Here's the mantra: It's not my fault.

This mantra is so very simple yet so incredibly effective.

Too often, I blame myself when things go wrong. If a friend or a loved one is upset, I instantly think that I am the cause of at least a little bit of their distress. If plans fall through, then I assume that I did not take the necessary precautions to keep the schedule running smoothly. If I do poorly on a project or test, then I tell myself that everyone else did better and that I didn't properly prepare.

I assume way too much, and I take blame for things that have absolutely nothing to do with me.

Recent realizations:
  1. I cannot control someone else's mood.
  2. I cannot control time.
  3. I cannot be void of mistakes.
  4. I wrongly blame myself for things that happen as a result of 1, 2 and 3.

I assume fault that's not mine, and I worry about problems I didn't create.


Adopting the "it's not my fault" mantra has helped keep my spirits up and my stress-level in check. With this attitude, my head stays clearer. I am able to quickly solve the problem, instead of dwelling on how the problem was created.


Now, I am certainly not saying that I am never to blame. I am simply saying that I am not always to blame. And I am definitely not using my new mantra as a chance to point the finger at someone else. I am instead insisting that blame solves nothing.

With this new mantra, I remind myself to have confidence in my actions and clarity in my reactions.

I am finally understanding how important it is to give myself the same grace and patience I give others.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...