Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Ups and Downs

Have you ever heard of Murphy's Law?
It's an adage that's best stated as: "If anything can go wrong, it will. "

That phrase just about sums up my weekend. Well, at least part of it.

The Downs


On Friday, I planned to go out with a few friends from The Webster. Earlier that day, we decided that we wanted to check out the East Village bar scene.

It took us longer than expected to get ready for the night (as getting ready tends to do for 20-somethings), and we didn't leave The Webster until after 1 a.m.

Sidenote: Bars in New York stay open until 4 a.m. If you want to last all night, then don't leave until the next morning.

Our subway ride to the East Village included two transfers. We maneuvered the first two trains without a problem. Then, we got to the third terminal. A puddle of vomit was on the steps, a man was urinating in the corner, and an announcer on the speaker system said that it would be 20 minutes until the next 6 train arrived.

Instead of waiting with urine man, we got out of the subway right then and there. We figured that we would easily find a bar no matter where we were. After all, it is New York.

We didn't spot anything immediately, so Megan decided to look up nearby bars on her iPhone. She found a few that sounded incredibly promising. Then, her phone ran out of battery. Our IQ dropped when the smartphone died.

We blindly walked into a couple small bars, but no bar drew us in for good. Plus, the "regulars" at those small bars intimidated us. We were back at the Webster before 3 a.m. I was not amused.

NYC nightlife - 1, Kellie - 0

On Saturday, I woke up and decided to go for a run. The weather was nice, and I felt incredibly powerful for the first 1.5 miles of my workout. At my halfway point, I decided to change direction and head back toward The Webster. I had been forgetting to do this before. Consequently, my 3 mile runs were often followed by 3 mile walks home.

Apparently, that previous "powerful" feeling was the wind, and it didn't make me feel so powerful when I was going against it. It stopped me in my tracks. If I were 10 (OK, probably more like 110) pounds lighter, then I would have blown away. I guess I should've taken those wind advisories from The Weather Channel a little more seriously.

After suffering through the last half of my run, I showered and headed to dinner with Megan. We were still feeling quite defeated from Friday night's fiasco, so we planned to stay in and relax.

We decided to get frozen yogurt before parking it in front of the TV for the night.

My mouth is watering

I won't even pretend like something went wrong with the Pinkberry. My only complaint is that the bowl didn't magically refill itself when I was done.

My mix:
Original 'gurt
Strawberries
Mochi
Yogurt chips
Coconut

On the walk back to The Webster from Pinkberry, Megan decided to pick up some wine for us to sip on while we watched Saturday Night Live.

Once back at The Webster, we headed straight to the TV lounge. Normally, the TV lounge is filled with other guests. Today, however, no one was there -- except for two old women discussing astrology.

The TV was off, and the two women were talking about the planets and stars as if the planets and stars had character traits and personalities. They said things like, "Oh, you know how Neptune can be," (no, I don't) and were jotting down notes from a book on horoscopes. I'm fairly certain one of them mentioned leaving her job because Venus was in retrograde.

They eventually left, and we delighted in the fact that we were, for the first time ever, in full control of the remote for the night.

We turned on the TV. Then, the TV turned off. Then, the "NO SIGNAL" message appeared. The satellite wasn't working. Awesome.

Hours later, the signal came back. Thankfully, it was in time for us to watch SNL. Finally, we could kick back and open the wine.

... Except, the wine bottle wasn't a twist-off like we thought it was. And, out of all the things I thought to pack for New York, "wine opener" never crossed my mind. Murphy's Law strikes again.

With sincere determination and persistence (and after breaking a knife), Megan opened the wine. We laughed and sipped all night long.

And since I'm generous, I'm sharing some laughter with you:

Weekend Update gets me every time.


The Ups


I woke up, and it was Easter. Normally, Easter is filled with Easter baskets, egg hunts, and family time (see below).

Easter 2011

Dominating the egg hunt

Losers

This year, it was filled with touristy sidewalks and tall buildings.

Early Sunday morning, I texted my parents and siblings to wish them a happy Easter and to tell them that I missed them. My mom texted me back and told me to hunt for my basket. Huh?

Apparently, she made and hid a basket for me while she was visiting. My mom is very sneaky, and I am very grateful for her sneakiness. Her gesture proved to be an untraditional way of keeping tradition alive. I loved it.

Then, I went running ... and the wind didn't knock me off my feet! In fact, it was beautiful outside, and I opted to lie in the grass for awhile after my run was over. I even took some time to smell (photograph) the flowers.




The Cherry on Top


We had Crumbs cupcakes at work on Monday.

Happiness in dessert form

My pick: "Good Guy"
I take indulgence seriously.

Life has done a total 180 since Friday. Saturn must be back in my 11th house.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...