Monday, May 14, 2012

Catching Up

Before I recap this weekend, I feel compelled to catch up on everything else that's happened lately. Life has been moving faster than I can blog, and I have a lot to discuss.

But, because my brain is a little fried from long work hours and hectic city life, I'm going to let pictures talk for me. (Well, for the most part. We all know how I love my words.)

I'll start with the Smile Event, which was held on Thursday, May 3 and hosted by Operation Smile at Cipriani Club 55 on Wall Street. The company I'm interning with had a table at the gala, and, thankfully, I got a seat. 

The venue was gorgeous.

Fit for a king ... or a New York socialite

The food was delicious.

Vegetarian option, of course

Vanilla meringue cake

The company was delightful.

PR ladies

We had a very beautiful table

The entertainment was wonderful.

Music by Joshua Radin

The donors were generous.

Text pledges

And the hair was there. (Sorry, I had to.)

Donald Trump

I was touched by the messages spoken and videos shown at the event. Operation Smile is a truly admirable organization, and I was glad to have the opportunity to support it.

Bill Magee, Operation Smile Co-founder and Executive Chairman

It was an amazing night.

Then, it was the weekend, and a couple friends and I decided to visit the American Museum of Natural History that Saturday.

I yelled, "I'm not a tourist!" as I took this

Land Before Time, anyone?

I saw a sign that said "Butterfly Exhibit" and talked about how badly I wanted to go until Sarah and Sam got the hint.

Take me there!

Thanks for listening, friends

I was in awe of the beautiful creatures.

Gotta catch 'em all!

By the way, you actually shouldn't try to catch them. Or touch them. I got in trouble for that. Oops. I guess I turn into a 5-year-old when butterflies are involved.

"Hands off, chump!"

Later, Sarah and I went to dinner at Stout, per my recommendation.

Grilled Vegetable Panini + Sweet Potato Fries

Then, we got Crumbs cupcakes. Do your mouth a favor and try one ... or seven.

Cake heaven

I opted for the Cupcake of the Month, "Rose in a Box."

The more icing, the better

The next day was Sunday, and I kept up my Sunday shopping tradition. (Sorry, bank account.) I hadn't shopped in Times Square yet, so I made that my destination for the day. Turns out, there is a four-story Forever 21 in Times Square. Needless to say, I was occupied for hours.

Shopaholic-intern heaven (we're on a budget)

Then, I went to the Disney Store.

Kid (or kid at heart) heaven

Finally, I went to the M&M's World. This visit was anti-climatic for me because I don't eat chocolate. (Don't ask why. I don't even remember anymore.)

The Statue of Liberty Sugar

Wall of Chocolate

I also stopped to check out the street peeps.

Is this 7th Avenue or Sesame Street?

Odd couple

I was very tempted to ask for a picture with Dora. I guess Times Square turns me into a 5-year-old, too.

After this relaxing weekend came a very non-relaxing, but exciting, media tour. My coworkers and I stayed at The New York Helmsley Hotel near Bryant Park during the tour.

Not too shabby

I started off feeling like a PR superstar, eager and ready to go.

"I'm all business"

I ended looking and feeling similar to this.

Dog tired

 In two days, the organization made appearances at the Today Show, Live! with Kelly, Fox & Friends, Trump Towers, Watch What Happens Live, NASDAQ and PIX 11 Morning News.

Today Show

Live! with Kelly

Watch What Happens Live

Donald Trump (again)

NASDAQ

I didn't sleep very much (or at all), but I learned more than I can explain during these fast-paced two days. It was one of the most incredible experiences I have had in the city.

Plus, I met one of my heroes.

In the presence of greatness

Matt Lauer is a passionate journalist and a proud OU Bobcat. Basically, we are the same person. Except, he makes $25 million a year, and I ... don't.

Somehow during the hectic two days, I made time for S'mores at Max Brenner. I guess there is always room in the schedule for dessert (priorities, people).

Toasted to perfection

'Mallow + graham + peanut butter + raspberry sauce

Life may be moving in fast-forward, but I am cherishing every second of it. When I sit back and reflect, I realize just how lucky I am to be where I'm at and to have the opportunities that I do. New York is a place like no other.

If it's possible to fall in love with a city, then consider me head over heels.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...